Ashley M. Haws
June 19, 1987 - June 1, 2014
It is with great regret that we mourn the loss of a dear colleague and friend Ashley M. Haws. On June 1, 2014, while boating with friends on Lake Michigan, tragedy struck, and Ashley passed away. She was loved by many, including her parents and siblings, friends, clients, and the Davi Law Group, LLC family. Ashley will be missed by all who had the privilege of knowing and working with her.
Ashley M. Haws, originally from Green Bay, Wisconsin, graduated from St. Norbert College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and a minor in Communications. In her undergraduate years, Ashley studied abroad in South Africa for a semester, was the varsity soccer team captain, and was a member of the Phi Beta Delta International Scholars Honor Society.
After graduating from St. Norbert College in May 2009, Ashley attended Valparaiso University School of Law in Indiana where she earned her Juris Doctor in May 2012. While attending law school, Ashley was a member of the Steering Committee, the Women Law Student’s Association, and the Volunteer Income Tax Association. In the Fall 2009 semester, she received the Cali Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Writing.
Ashley began work at Davi Law Group, LLC in November 2012 and was made an Associate Attorney in January 2013. Throughout her time at the law firm, Ashley provided fearless legal representation for family law clients in DuPage County and throughout Illinois. Ashley was a member of numerous bar associations and had just been sworn in for a second year as the Treasurer for the DuPage County Association of Women Lawyers. She was a brilliant rising star in the legal community and will be greatly missed.
Though we carry heavy hearts with Ashley’s passing, we know she would want us to share in her legacy of providing exceptional legal service to our clients. In order to pay homage to her in this way, we will continue to serve you with all your needs. Thank you for your condolences and helping us uphold Ashley’s memory.
Davi Law Group, LLC, Warrenville, Illinois, November 2012 to 2014
- Court appearances on behalf of clients for case management and hearings.
- Draft various petitions regarding Family and Appellate court matters.
- Research a variety civil and family law issues.
Erickson Legal Office, LLC, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, September to December 2012
Law Clerk/Independent Contractor
- Reviewed and edited appellate briefs regarding defamation issues on a cross-claim in an action for breach of duty and unfair competition.
- Created and compiled affidavits of clients; reviewed depositions.
La Porte County Superior Court No. 1, Michigan City, Indiana, October 2011 to December 2012
Judicial Law Clerk
- Conducted legal research on various family law topics including guardianship, receivership, adoption, and marital dissolution.
- Researched civil legal matters including negligence, products liability, and mortgage foreclosure.
- Researched criminal legal issues including life without parole, fast and speedy trial, and post conviction relief.
- Drafted legal memoranda.
- Observed civil hearings, criminal court calls, preliminary hearings, and trials.
Lake County Juvenile Public Defender’s Office, Crown Point, Indiana, August 2011 to May 2012
- Represented clients in juvenile delinquency matters and explained the nature of representation, legal issues, and court procedure to clients.
- Advocated clients’ positions to prosecutors and juvenile court magistrates.
The Center for Humans and Nature, Chicago, Illinois, May 2011 to August 2011
Global Responsibilities Legal Intern
- Independently researched international environmental statutes and affiliated case law.
- Organized international environmental statutes and affiliated case law for presentation, which ultimately were transformed into an article for publication.
Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, IN
Juris Doctor, May 2012
- G.P.A.: 3.053/4.0
- Steering Committee, Member, 2011 to 2012
- Volunteer Income Tax Association, Volunteer, 2011
- Women Law Student’s Association, Member, 2010 to 2011
- Cali Excellence for the Future Award, Legal Writing, Fall 2009
St. Norbert College, De Pere, Wisconsin
Bachelor of Arts, May 2009
- Major: Psychology, Minor: Communication
- Dean’s List, Fall 2008, Spring 2009
- Women’s Varsity Soccer, Team Captain, 2005 to 2008
- Study Abroad, University of KwaZulu-Natal Durban, South Africa, Spring 2008
- Requested to be a member of International Scholars Honor Society: Phi Beta Delta, 2008
Bar AdmissionsState of Illinois, November 2012
Illinois State Bar Association
- January 2011 to 2014
Chicago Bar Association
- February 2011 to 2014
DuPage County Bar Association
- Pro Bono Attorney Service Award (Posthumous), 2014 to 2015
- Member, November 2011 to 2014
DuPage Association for Women Lawyers
- December 2012 to 2014
- Treasurer, June 2013 to 2014
Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- November 2012 to 2014
Justinian Society of Lawyers
- December 2012 to 2014